Friday Fun: Thanks, Witches and Toothless

After 2 months of living in China I have FINALLY sorted the wifi out for my apartment so hopefully I will be able to get back to normal posting now. I do apologise for the absolute lack of anything in the last few weeks, but I've had to adjust to working full time (I know, woe is me!), teaching, and living in China. I have, however, read some absolutely amazing books in these weeks without the Internet at my disposal for procrastination, so you've got those reviews to look forward to. I've already posted reviews for 2 of them, The Power by Naomi Alderman and the Russian classic Yevgeny Onegin by Alexander Pushkin, translated by A.D.P Briggs.

Also, just like me, Feature & Follow Friday was on a bit of a hiatus the last 2 months but returned last week. So it's only right that I join back in on the FF fun! FF is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee! This week's prompt is:

What are you most thankful for (in the blogging world)?


This is solely based on my own experience blogging the last few years but I am so grateful for the general respect book bloggers have for each other's opinions. I know (mainly from Twitter rants) that there have been controversies and problems etc. but I have never felt like I had to change my opinion on a book or an author just to not get shouted at. If a reviewer doesn't like a book they are able to say so and, usually, it all remains very respectful. A second thing which I am, of course, grateful for, is the love for books that you find here. No matter what you read, we all love books and we all love reading. And dear God, all of your recommendations are BRILLIANT!

Now, for more memes! Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda at Freda's Voice! Hop over to their blogs to join in on the fun! Today I'm featuring one of my current reads, The Witches of New York by Ami McKay.

The year is 1880. Two hundred years after the trials in Salem, Adelaide Thom (Moth from The Virgin Cure) has left her life in the sideshow to open a tea shop with another young woman who feels it's finally safe enough to describe herself as a witch: a former medical student and gardien de sorts(keeper of spells), Eleanor St. Clair. Together they cater to Manhattan's high society ladies, specializing in cures, palmistry and potions--and in guarding the secrets of their clients. All is well until one bright September afternoon, when an enchanting young woman named Beatrice Dunn arrives at their door seeking employment. 
Beatrice soon becomes indispensable as Eleanor's apprentice, but her new life with the witches is marred by strange occurrences. She sees things no one else can see. She hears voices no one else can hear. Objects appear out of thin air, as if gifts from the dead. Has she been touched by magic or is she simply losing her mind? Eleanor wants to tread lightly and respect the magic manifest in the girl, but Adelaide sees a business opportunity. Working with Dr. Quinn Brody, a talented alienist, she submits Beatrice to a series of tests to see if she truly can talk to spirits. Amidst the witches' tug-of-war over what's best for her, Beatrice disappears, leaving them to wonder whether it was by choice or by force. 
As Adelaide and Eleanor begin the desperate search for Beatrice, they're confronted by accusations and spectres from their own pasts. In a time when women were corseted, confined and committed for merely speaking their minds, were any of them safe?
Book Beginnings:
'In the dusky haze of evening a ruddy-cheeked newsboy strode along Fifth Avenue proclaiming the future. "The great Egyptian obelisk is about to land on our shores! The Brooklyn Bridge set to become the Eight Wonder of the World! Broadway soon to glow with electric light!" In his wake, a crippled man shuffled, spouting prophecies of his own. "God's judgement is upon us! The end of the world is nigh!"
New York became a city of astonishments. Wonders and marvels came so frequent and fast, a day without spectacle was cause for concern.' 1%
I simple had to include that second line, it's too brilliant not to. I really like how McKay creates atmosphere throughout The Witches of New York, especially in her descriptions of New York. Also, her witches are great!


Friday 56:
'"The grimoire doesn't lie," Eleanor replied. "Its wisdom takes many forms within its pages - recipes, spells, sagas... and yes, even fairy tales. Every word within it holds truth.' 56%
I wanted to share more but I fear it would have been a little bit spoiler-y, so I restrained myself and stuck with these 2 sentences. I absolutely love Eleanor's character so far, she is exactly the kind of witch I would like to be. I like how she describes her grimoire and, in essence, the magic of words. Words have power



Also, I just really need to share this picture of my kitten, Toothless, because she's too pretty not to be seen by everyone!

She is gorgeous and I love her! I hope you all have a brilliant Friday and an even better weekend! I'm still getting used to working 7 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday...

Comments

  1. Welcome back, and Toothless is beautiful! Love that opening, and the cover is awesome. Thanks for sharing. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And same here, it's a great opening and I only wish I had a paperback of this novel! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  2. The Witches of New York sounds like a terrific book and a big change from what I've been reading lately. Love the setting -- both time and place.
    Toothless is a cutie. Thanks for including her photo.
    My Friday post features KEY LARGO BLUES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy mixing my reading up a little bit, although reading about witches really is nothing new for me xD Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  3. I too think The Witches sounds terrific. Toothless is such a sweetie pie:)
    Welcome back! Sounds like so many exciting changes for you.

    My Friday 56 from The Nature Of Balance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely have been a lot of changes but I'm very happy to be back to blogging! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  4. The Witches of New York sounds like a good one. This is the first time I've heard about it, so thanks for mentioning the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  5. This one sounds like a good story to me. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it really is! If you give it a try, let me know what you think! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I'm reading The Elizabeth Papers by Jenetta James this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  7. Welcome back! It's so amazing that you live in China now, I think is great to travel and know new cultures! The Witches of New York's cover is so beautiful, this is one of the books I ant to read soon!

    New GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely learning a lot, both about the world and myself! And it really is, isn't it! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  8. Adorable kitty! And the book sounds awesome! There is just something about witches that I find so appealing, even though I haven't read many books about them in a while. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “IN A DARK, DARK WOOD”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and congrats on the new job and new stomping grounds!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Laurel!! And same here, I've totally got a thing for fictional witches! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  9. Toothless...:-) I love witches and this is a magical time of year.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she the cutest? And I totally agree! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  10. This sounds awesome. I love the description of the boy and his prophecies. I may have to add this one to my TBR. Happy reading!

    -eli @ the (book) supplier
    My Friday 56/Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McKay has some brilliant descriptions in this book!! Let me know what you think, if you give it a try! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  11. I love the cover. Not sure about the book for me though. I hope your readers will check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSOTG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll make sure to pop over! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  12. So glad you're back! I hope you're all settled in and loving China.
    That book selection for your memes sounds beautifully written, deep in historical culture, and wonderful to read. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Freda! They definitely are so far, loving them! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  13. I like the sound of this one! And, Toothless looks so cute! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one! And she is, although her teeth are coming through now... Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete
  14. That cover is lovely and it sounds like a brilliant read. Also your kittens name is amazing :)

    Raven@everywhere and nowhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is stunning and the novel really lives up to its beauty! Thank you for commenting :D
      Juli @ A Universe in Words

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts