Teasers on Tuesday - 'Cat's Cradle' by Kurt Vonnegut

Cat's Cradle
I haven't done this meme in so long because work has me freaking out every day or so, but I've missed it a lot. So I simply decided to let work be for an afternoon and get back to bog hopping! I absolutely love Vonnegut's writing style so I decided one of his classics would be a great way to get back into Tuesdays.

I haven't actually read Cat's Cradle yet either, so the teasers definitely helped to get me excited for it as well!
Cat's Cradle, one of Vonnegut's most entertaining novels, is filled with scientists and G-men and even ordinary folks caught up in the game. These assorted characters chase each other around in search of the world's most important and dangerous substance, a new form of ice that freezes at room temperature. At one time, this novel could probably be found on the bookshelf of every college kid in America; it's still a fabulous read and a great place to start if you're young enough to have missed the first Vonnegut craze. 

Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesdays are hosted by Diane from Bibliophile by the Sea and MizB over at A Daily Rhythm.

Intro:
'Call me Jonah. My parents did, or nearly did. The called me John.
Jonah - John - if I had been a Sam, I would have been a Jonah still, not because I have been unlucky for others, but because somebody or something has compelled me to be certain places at certain times, without fail. Conveyance and motives both conventional and bizarre, have been provided. And, according to plan, at each appointed second, at each appointed place this Jonah was there.' p.1
I love how Vonnegut both refers to the opening of Moby Dick as well as pulling in the Biblical story of Jonah and the whale. There is a lot of whale-symbolism here which I'm wondering is just a little joke or if it's going to be a theme throughout.


TeaserTuesdays2014eTeaser:
'I became so absorbed in Phillip Castle's book that I didn't even look up from it when we put down for ten minutes in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I didn't even loop up when somebody behind me whispered, thrilled, that a midget had come aboard.' p.60

Well this is something very recognizable to anyone who loves reading. Especially during travelling I genuinely get completely and utterly sucked in. And then I absolutely love the sort of absurdness that Vonnegut brings to the moment!

So, have you read any Vonnegut? Did you enjoy it? Leave a link to your Teaser post in the comments :)

Comments

  1. thanks, I have not read it yet, and realize I really should. mine is here: http://francebooktours.com/2015/12/22/first-chapter-first-paragraph-the-641-to-paris/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonnegut is one of those authors that's on my lists but not always read. He was like that for me for a long time xD Definitely check him out though if you have the time! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read it, but it sounds like it would be a good read. Merry Christmas! Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely expecting it to be interesting and funny! Thanks for commenting and merry Christmas to you too :)

      Delete
  3. I am sorry work has been so crazy for you. I was hoping this week would at least be slow, but it started off quite busy. I imagine being half staffed may have something to do with it.

    I haven't had the chance to read Vonnegut as of yet, but I do want to. I have this one in my TBR collection, in fact. I especially love the teaser you shared. That is definitely a situation I have been in many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah yes, being half staffed can't have helped with the slowing down. At least my work is self-imposed, technically, since it's Uni work! Cat's Cradle was on my TBR for ages until I decided to just start it and that teaser just jumped out at me. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. It has been many years since I read this one, but Vonnegut is awesome. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    I hope your work lets up for a little bit...I remember freaking out about work...I try to forget it nowadays, though, since I'm "retired." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vonnegut is the definition of an awesome author! I'm pretty sure that even in "retirement" you're working really hard if I look at how good your blog is! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. One of those books that I've been meaning to read Juli. I like the intro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's typically one of those 'one day I will' books! It's a really interesting intro, isn't it? Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. I tried Vonnegut eons ago, but didn't click with him. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! Definitely one on my TBR!!!!

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've meant to read Vonnegut for years now — even have one of his books — but never seem to get started. This intro and teaser might do it for me. Here's my teaser/intro: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-15o

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one needs to go on the TBR enjoyed the opening and the teaser - Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts