The Classics Spin - The Classics Club

I've never taken part in the Classics Spin yet, mainly because I'm quite terrible at keeping up with my 100 Classics List and I'm embarrassed. However, this time I'm doing it, with the challenge to read whichever book is chosen during my week-long holiday in France. There will be no wi-fi to distract me, only a little sister and a mother. Hopefully they'll be content with focusing on each other so I can read my book in peace. Now, what is this Classics Spin?
It's easy. At your blog, by next Monday, August 11, list your choice of any twenty books you've left to read from your Classics Club list -- in a separate post. 
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in August & September. (Details follow.) So, try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.) 
Next Monday, we'll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by October 6
Sound good, no? And even if I fail to read it within that week, I have until October 6! I think I'm going to put some big books on there, to take advantage of this sea of time! I am also going to take the club's advice and order my 20 books into their categories of five.

1-5: Five Books I'm Dreading
6-10: Five Books I Can't Wait to Read
11-15: Five Books I'm Neutral About
16-20: Five Books at Random

My Spin List:

  1. War & Peace by Leo Tolstoy  -  I actually promised to read this one for a Summer Read challenge so I'll have to get on it no matter what.
  2. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez  -  Don't know what it is but something about this book makes me want to hide.
  3. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen  -  It's just so big!
  4. The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio  -  Talking about big and complicated!
  5. Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand  -  Another one of those.
  6. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne  -  Captain Nemo, here I come!
  7. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut  -  I've become a convinced Vonnegut fan!
  8. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov  -  I want to know what it is about this book that people either hate or love!
  9. The Lifted Veil by George Elliot  -  I quite like Elliot, at times.
  10. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury  -  Do I even need to explain?
  11. The Call of the Wild by Jack London  -  I once started it and I simply don't feel anything about it.
  12. Lanark by Alasdair Grey  -  I need  a reason to start it because I don't seem to care.
  13. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf  -  I dabbled in Woolf once and it wasn't a good experience.
  14. Die Blechtrommel by Gunther Grass  -  Just sort of meh about this one thus far.
  15. My Antonia by Willa Carter  -  I want to read it, but I don't.
  16. The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead
  17. A House for Mr. Biswas by V.S. Naipaul
  18. An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser
  19. The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot
  20. The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski
So, this is my Spin List. I'm sort of scared what the number is going to be, but it's a good mix of books so it should be alright! Have you made your list? Leave a link to it in the comments!

Comments

  1. Good luck with your spin - delighted to see an Aussie on your list :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts