Mailbox Monday - More Editions of the Same Book

It is the start of another week and soon we'll be half way through March. I know I never stop talking about how fast time goes, but seriously, where does it all go? I only sleep like five or six hours a day, so where do the other eighteen hours go? Mailbox Monday is hosted over at Mailbox Monday by Leslie, Serena and Vicki.

I was very good this week, mainly because of the temptation I resisted. Me and one of my housemates, Evie, went to the Waterstones here in Nottingham and walked around for about two hours, in complete and utter awe. At times she was holding a £30 copy of Jane Austen's Collected Works, then I was holding a £20 edition of The Tales of Genji and then we both wanted to get Catch-22 and then we realised we still had about three floors to go through. But in the end, both of us only had to deal with minor damage to our bank accounts. Here is what I got.

The Pulp! edition of Wuthering Heights. It's my fourth edition of WH, but I feel that if you find a book you like you should never not by a beautiful edition of it. Here's the genius synopsis on the back.
Childhood sweethearts turned star-crossed lovers, fuelled by bitter healousy and dark revenge. She's pretty and posh, he's a moody brooding bastard. 
Heartbreak, alcoholism and plenty of illegitimate kids - it's a perfect Northern drama.
The sides of the pages are red and overall it just looks absolutely beautiful. I almost got another edition as well, but after consulting my father, i.e. my Oracle, I decided against it.

The other book I got was the 40th anniversary edition of Watership Down. I have it on my Kindle but when it comes to classics it's just nice to have an actual, physical copy and when I saw this edition I just knew I wanted it. I have restarted it and I just love it so far.
Set in England's Downs, a once idyllic rural landscape, this stirring tale of adventure, courage and survival follows a band of rabbits on their flight from the intrusion of man and the certain destruction of their home. Led by a stouthearted pair of brothers, they journey forth from their native Sandleford Warren through the harrowing trials posed by predators and adversaries, to a mysterious promised land and a more perfect society.
I was talking to my housemates and some of them read it when they were really young and I don't know why you would make children read it because they would miss most of the subtext. 


So, what was in your Mailbox this week?

Comments

  1. It has been many years since I read Wuthering Heights...I need to reread it. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son loved Watership Down. He would probably love this edition!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never actually read Wuthering Heights or Watership Down! They're both books I've been wanting to read for a while now, but unfortunately, it just hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never read either one; maybe I'll put them on my list for the Classics Challange

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite a cover on Wuthering Heights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either of them :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read Watership Down, but don't think I really want to. I read Wuthering Heights years and years ago, it might be time for a reread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ENJOY....I have read Wuthering Heights but not Watership Down.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts