It's Friday, Friday!

See how I parodied society there? Anyway let's return to the memes!

TGIF is hosted by GReads!
Giving Thanks: Which books are you most thankful for receiving from other bloggers, friends, family members, or publishers?


I am very thankful to my parents for introducing me to the books of their childhood. Through my mum I was able to read amazing books like 'Grischka's Abenteuer' or 'Trotskopf' and from my dad I got 'Brief aan de Koning' and 'Koning van Katoren'. They shaped my childhood and are probably one of the reasons I am blogging.


I am very, very thankful to all the authors who send me their books. Two highlights, so far, for me though have definitely been Christopher Bunn and Daniel Arenson. Their books are some of the best contemporary fantasy books I have read. Their ideas are original and they put a lot of thought into their background story. Here are some reviews:
The Hawk and His Boy - Christopher Bunn
The Shadow at the Gate - Christopher Bunn
Blood of Requiem - Daniel Arenson
Flaming Dove - Daniel Arenson
The Gods of Dream - Daniel Arenson

Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice and Book Beginnings by A Few More Pages!

These two memes give me the perfect opportunity to show of my most recent (2 hours ago) book purchase: a copy of 'Vilette' and not just any copy.
I was browsing through a vintage shop that also has books and I found this. Although I have the book I decided to glance it over because I have an everlasting wish of finding a Bronte book with the original pseudonym as author. And voila, my wish came true!

I present, my copy of 'Vilette', printed in 1891 and written by Currer Bell. You might guess my excitement on finding this. So I went up to the shopkeeper, fully intent on paying whatever price she asked for it. She looked at it and said: '2 pounds.' So I paid and ran out of the shop screaming of happiness.

Friday 56 Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) in the Linky at Freda's Voice.



'There was a little pause, in the course of which, as he turned more fully to the light of a lamp above him, I saw that he was a young, distinguished, and handsome man; he might be a lord, for anything I knew: nature had made him good enough for a prince, I thought.'



How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.


'My godmother lived in a handsome house in the clean and ancient town of Bretton. Her husband's amily had been residents there for generations, and bore, indeed, the name of their birthplace - Bretton of Bretton: whether by coincidence, or because some remote ancestor had been a parsonage of sufficient importance to leave his name to his neighbourhood, I know not.'


So, how about you? What books are you grateful for? 

Comments

  1. Wonderful story of how you found the book...and I love the excerpts!

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those books in german? Do you know German as well? Knowing another language seems so lovely. I think a lot of bloggers have their mothers to thank for their love of reading. Yay for mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! such a great find, I also find myself in used book stores for the same reason - to find for myself my very own treasure.. and love the excerpts too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm grateful for my mom for making me buy the first Harry Potter book. It was at one of those Scholastic book sales in the library in junior high, and she kept telling me what good things she'd been hearing about it, and I was finally like "ok, ok, I'll get the book", and now I'm as big a Harry Potter fan as ever there was. That book sucked me in from page 1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Juli,

    I too, have my parents to thank for my love of the written word. They may not have received the best education in the world, however my brother and I were both actively encouraged to read at every opportunity and Saturday afternoons found us, as a family, visiting our local library, where our individual tickets were always maxed out. My brother hardly ever reads these days, however I could never imagine a house without a whole ton of books around the place.

    I loved the story of your book bargain of the week. I volunteer in a charity shop and know from first hand experience, just how easy it is to let a 'find' slip through the net and get sold for a ridiculously small sum of money. It is always a great buzz when I do come across a great 'find', for which we can recognise a good size donation to swell our coffers. Not so good for bargain hunters such as yourself though, sorry!

    Have a great weekend.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, you must've been ecstatic! You just never know what treasure you can find (good thing it was just 2 pounds too, double treasure!)

    I'm gong through your reviews. What an incredible reading list you have! I love fantasy too, so I must try some of your favourites

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome quotes, and congrats on your new treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quotes. Sounds like an interesting read.

    Thanks for stopping by Proud Book Nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a rather fun beginning. I like it!

    Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts